Monday, March 30, 2020

Imagining the World - How can Venice transform after coronavirus?

Grand Canal, Venice, Italy during quarantine - Photo: Cat Bauer
Grand Canal, Venice, Italy during quarantine - Photo: Cat Bauer
(Venice, Italy) Dear Friends & Readers -- please forgive me for not updating. I've started writing about 10 different posts, but the situation changes so rapidly that it seems that before I finish one sentence, it is already out of date.

I am well. Everyone I know is well. Personally, I don't know a single person who has the COVID-19 coronavirus, nor do any of my friends, but that is a limited circle. Everyone wants numbers, and so do I.

I am focused only on the numbers inside the historic center of Venice. Most of the time the official numbers about Venice get lumped together with Mestre, or with the province, or with the region, or with all of Italy -- it is difficult to get accurate numbers.

As far as I can understand, there are about 7 people in intensive care at Ospedale San Giovanni e Paolo. There are around 10 or less inside the hospital that are non-critical. There are less than 50 cases inside the historic center who are confined inside their homes. Those numbers are not official or accurate. It is just to let you know that all of Venice has not fallen victim to the pandemic.

I am a great believer in Mother Nature, the gods, Jesus Christ and the stars. I am also pragmatic and logical. Most of all, I believe in the power of Imagination. Venice only exists because of the powerful imagination of committed, enlightened, honorable souls.

This tragedy can transform into an opportunity. Mother Nature is creating a new world in front of our eyes. After the coronavirus, what kind of world do we want? Together, we can imagine anything. Together, we can re-imagine the world.

Stay strong from Venice,
Cat Bauer
Venetian Cat - The Venice Blog

1 comment:

  1. This tragedy can transform into an opportunity. Mother Nature is creating a new world in front of our eyes. After the coronavirus, what kind of world do we want? Together, we can imagine anything. Together, we can re-imagine the world.

    ReplyDelete